So I guess you could call this post a sophomore slump compared to my first one in terms of length and topic, but hey, I got passed the first post and this is two updates in the same week. I would not get used to that, but I guess I have more time on my hands right now.
The idea of a sophomore slump is actually what inspired me to write this. I might be one of the biggest sports nuts ever, and I seem to be expanding my horizons recently too. That being said, I still fall back on baseball and football more than ever. With the Cardinals out of the playoffs again, and with everybody in the city convinced that they are a bad baseball team, I have officially decided that it is time to stop arguing about how they are a good team that is getting blown away by a better team. It is now time to turn my attention towards football, and in years past this meant picking secondary teams that I enjoy watching, and tend to root for more often then not and joining my various fantasy football years. This year seems to be a little different. While I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, I found myself hoping that the Cardinals discussion would stop and the Rams discussion would pick up. Previously, that kind of discussion seemed to be whether or not they would get the first overall draft pick, but as I mentioned this year seems to be a lot different. There is a new excitement surrounding the former “greatest show on turf”, and I must admit I am feelin' it a little as well.
I eventually got my wish of more Rams discussion, but I wasn't necessarily satisfied with what I received. Throughout all of the segments on the radio, I don't think I heard one positive thing about the previous WIN. The resounding feeling was that the Rams had taken a gigantic step backwards, and the season to follow looks very discouraging because of “uncorrectable mistakes that were made” in a PRE-SEASON GAME. At one point, one of the broadcasters had said that the game against the Titans was a strong reality check from the previous high felt by beating up on the Colts. It was said that the Colts are a historically pathetic franchise in the preseason, so that was supposed to happen. My question then is if the Colts are consistent Super Bowl contenders every year following abysmal preseasons, then why the hell is everybody getting bent out of shape after the Rams BEAT the Titans in a preseason game. Not only did they beat them, but the run defense that was the brunt of most of the criticism only gave up one touchdown while the defense as a whole gave up 16 points. Everybody knows that the pre-season means nothing, but everybody on the radio today seemed to condemn the season after a WIN. To think that the Rams will blow everybody away and look good doing it is just a ridiculous notion. Most of the Steelers' wins last year were ugly but the bottom line is getting the job done, and I tend more to look at the fact that Rams played poorly and found a way to score more points than the other team, preseason or not. Another thing that was brought up, but quickly forgotten about was that these guys haven't been practicing for more than about 2 or 3 weeks, and there is actually more than half the preseason still to come. St. Louis sports people, please, drop the pessimistic attitude about the Rams and enjoy that fact that our football team is garnishing some spot light and wait until they tank in the regular season to start this blame game.
That is all I have for now; as I said in my previous post this blog will be used for whatever I feel like which will most often be useless ramblings (Thoughts, Ramblings, and Other Useless Shit), and this is a prime example.
Signing off,
Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment